So we got an ultrasound of Jack's head yesterday. The ultrasound tech said that his sagittal suture was partially fused. On the monitor we could see his brain through the open suture and then halfway back on his head you couldn't see the brain anymore....meaning it was fused. The radiologist came in and confirmed what the tech thought.
The radiologist said that our doctor would probably want X-rays done, so we should just stick around. We were in Payson so we waited for about 45 minutes. Then the doctor's office called and said the doctor looked over the ultrasound report and did want X-rays done.
We did the X-Rays and a few hours later I got a phone call from a nurse at the doctor's office. All she said was, "The X-rays look fine, and the doctor would like to get Jack fitted for a helmet." I was so confused...and still am. How did we go from clearly fused to everything is fine. I voiced my concerns to the nurse and she said she would get clarification from the doctor.
When she called back she said that the ultrasound was done so that they didn't expose Jack to radiation from the X-rays unnecessarily. But when the ultrasound came back "inconclusive" they decided it was worth the risk. This made sense but didn't really answer my question.
I asked the nurse if we could be referred to a specialist for a second opinion or at least get an appointment with the doctor so he could explain everything better. She called back and told me we could set up an appointment with the doctor, but not with the specialist "without cause". I've worked at a doctor's office with specialists and I know you have to have a referral so this made sense, but I'm still left with so many worries.
This isn't a small thing that will go away if we ignore it. If he needs surgery and doesn't get it, it could cause very serious problems. For some reason I just can't stop worrying about this...I just can't feel at peace. In the past when I've felt like this, it has usually meant there was a problem that needed to be fixed. Like when the nurses said my water hadn't broken but it had or when they said Jack didn't have an infection and he really did.
I just have so many questions:
-Did the ultrasound tech just not do the ultrasound right?
-If by some chance it was really fused, would the helmet make everything worse?
-Am I just worrying for no reason?
-If the doctor shows us the X-rays, how will I know what to look for?
-What if the X-rays got mixed up?
-The doctor is fairly young...does he even know enough about this for us to trust him
exclusively?
-What if I was just so convinced there was a problem, that now I can't except that there isn't?
-and many, many more questions.
To add to all of this...we are planning on leaving for California, for Chris's summer job, this Saturday. So we will need to figure out how to get Jack and I back and forth from Utah for upcoming appointments. Even if he just needs a helmet, Jack still needs to come back to Utah a few more times for appointments.
As of now, we have a helmet appointment and an appointment with the Pediatrician on Thursday.
I just don't know what to think! Being a grown up and a parent is stressful! Loving some one as much as I love Jack is hard work!
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Jack's Head and AAAAAH!
Posted by Melani at 4:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
especially reading all of this back I think you are wise to trust your instincts...I mean we are worriers anyways but usually we are activily seeking someone to tell us there is no need to worry, so the fact that you are worrying even when that has happened seems to be a signal to me.
Wow! That sounds incredibly stressful and scary! I hope you get the right answers! I am a worrier too, and sometimes I worry and I am wrong, but sometimes my instincts are right, it is so hard to know. We will keep you guys and little Jack in our prayers! Hang in there Mel and let me know if you ever want to chat. I love you!
I absolutely agree with Mandi. Trust your instincts. If you get a second (or third) opinion, and they all agree that he's okay, then there you go. But if you're feeling uneasy... You are Jack's mother. That is something special that that doctor doesn't have.
Post a Comment