Saturday, October 9, 2010

100. Parallel Parking on the first try

This website inspired me to create a lovely list I like to call, 100 Delightful Things.  Their list was 1000 Awesome things, but I think I'll dream a little more humbly. 100 Things is a good start.  And "Awesome" is so eighties, hence I shall say "Delightful". 

So we begin:

Ahaha...hem (clearing throat)

The 100th Delightful Thing:  Parallel Parking on the first try.

Heaven knows I am quite the flamboyant driver.  I might have hit a couple cars, a stop sign, a mail box, a tree, several curbs and a pole in my day.  And although the list of things you've hit may not be as lengthy or as prestigious as mine, you have probably had your own driving issues.  So there is nothing more satisfying than parallel parking on the first try.

You're with a couple buddies, and nonchalantly you say, "Oh.  Here's a spot." as you pull up to a small opening on the street. 

Your friends become nervous, they know the hazards involved in parallel parking just as well as you do.  You may hit the curb or the cars you are trying to sandwich in between.  And even worse, you could move your car's hind quarters back and forth a few zillion times while trying to line up properly.  Meanwhile, 20 Joe Schmoes on their way to work are watching your progress and waiting behind you.

But none of this happens...You just slip on in...first try.  Your friends are surprised.  They say something like, "Wow good job, I'm terrible at parallel parking."  And what do you do?  You just shrug your shoulders like its no big deal.  But inside you feel...

Delightful.

3 comments:

Mandi said...

Oh Mel...I laughed out loudeth. You are such a hoot! You are so good with words, and I'm not just saying that. I love the idea and if you don't keep it up I will punch YOU in the face.

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

Love the part about shrugging your shoulders like it's no big deal. Been there, done that...when really, you are right...it is delightful. I just avoid the little spots all together- you start to learn that it's just not going to happen for some people...me!

Rike said...

bahahahahahahah!!!! Mel, I love you so much! You are so witty! I want to be there when you do it! I can picture your non-chalant inner delight!