On our way to California for the summer, Chris and I stopped at his uncle's house in Grant's Pass Oregon. We stayed for about a week. Chris's Mumzy and Popsicle (mom and dad) came down as well for a few days. We had a grand ol' time. I just love that Grant's Pass. It's like your typical picturesque all American small town only in gorgeous woodsy mountains.
The main purpose of this trip was for Chris to shadow his Uncle at work. Chris wants to get into medical school and his Uncle is an ER Doctor. Chris would also like to be an ER Doctor so this was the perfect opportunity. Chris's Uncle Ben (like Uncle Ben from that old church movie...except the kids in that movie were from the 70's so they said Uncle Bin) and his wife Natalie graciously let us stay in their home. And I got to spend time with their four cute little kidlets.
Highlights from the trip:
1. When one of the kids (I think Brielle), said Jack looked like Megamind because of his head shape.
Here's a picture of Baby Megamind, and guys, I can totally see it. Throw some dog-like jowls on that baby and you've got Jack.
2. When Chris drew these side walk chalk drawings of Brielle and Levi. Apparently Levi was very particular about the amount of detail that these drawings deserved. I think they look adorable. Oh how I wish I had seen Chris sitting on the drive way, drawing away, taking orders from a disapproving little Levi.
Take note of the detail on Brielle's skirt and Levi's shoes.
3. Getting to know Ben and Natalie's kids. Brielle and Maija rocked harder to Just Dance than anyone I have every seen (seeing Chris's Dad play Just Dance was it's own kind of special). Levi was so cute with Jack and kept playing peek-a-boo with him. And they all helped me create some sweet awesome owls in Illustrator. I love the way kids just open up and become your friends so fast. I wish I had the courage to be more like that.
Here is my name and little me, that Brielle and Maija made out of plato.
Here is Chris with Levi and Brielle after he commandeered their I-pad. They were very generous letting him use it. I would have been like, "You are a grown man! Get your own electronics!"
4. Seeing Levi do his super hero kicks. Guys I don't think you know this, so pay attention. In a normal kick you only use one leg, in a super hero kick you use both legs...at the same time. Which Levi demonstrated to me and promptly fell right over.
5. Going rafting. Chris, Ben, Jack and I (Oh and the dog) all went rafting down this majestic river that cut through this canyon. It was gorgeous...like Pocahontas in "Just Around the River Bend." Except this was live action. And instead of Meeko there was Jack in a bright pink life-jacket and instead of the hummingbird there was a Labra-doodle wearing little dog sneakers.
I might have fallen down a hillside on my way to the raft. I cut open my hand. I was already stressing out that Jack was going to fall in the river and drown. And Jack had been screaming in the car because I had forgotten his bottle. Then, after I fell down I was reminded how un-outdoorsy I am. And the only thing that got me down that danged hillside was murmuring negative comments under my breath. But guys...once we were out on the river a ways...I became one with the elements. Except when we got near any rapids, then I became a Negative-Nancy again.
But really it was delightful! And so Gorgeous!
6. Our outing to the beach and to see the Redwoods. The last day Chris's parents were in Oregon we decided to go on an adventure. We headed to the beach, which is one of my favorite places ever. I DESPISE the ocean but LOVE the beach. I know, it makes no sense. I'm just not a big fan of deep dark fathomless depths and creepy man-eating fish.
Here are some pictures from the beach:
So I got bangs...they turned out pretty cute...see...
Just kidding, my bangs make me look like a male wrestler from the 80's right here.
This picture reminds me of Fantasia, when Mickey is conducting the waves.
Cute little Jack, in a monster hat.
Jack and La-La.
The whole family.
And here are some pictures of us visiting the Redwoods. These trees are amazing! So magical. I want to hollow one out and make it my little summer home.
Me and the little Jack-O. My bangs are looking a little more comely here.
Squished together in my future summer home.
The youngest of Ben and Natalie's kids. Little Gretta.
The biggest clover I have ever seen. Chris called them sour apples or something. When you bite on them they taste just like a sour green apples. It was cra-cra bananas.
A selfie of Jack and I at this little stream we found in the forest.
Uncle John showing Levi and Gretta something.
How Chris poses with a tree.
How I pose with a tree. I was channeling my inner monkey.
And here are some photos of Jack that have nothing to do with Oregon.
Except this one. This is Jack wearing Levi's baseball hat. I love his eyes in this picture.
This is a picture of Jack's first sink bath at my Mums and Dad's house.
And this is a picture of Jack the day we were packing up our house in Utah. Jack was crying all day. We had just found out he had an ear infection but the antibiotics hadn't really started to work yet, so Jack was in a lot of pain. He would scream unless one of us was holding him. Which was hard to do while simultaneously packing and cleaning. We started taking turns carrying him around in the Baby Bjorn. Chris put Jack on this railing for a second while he ran out to the car. And Jack just quieted down. So we left him there and he swung there for about an hour.
Some of the only smiles we got out him that whole day.

2 comments:
Fun post Melani! I love those Sill kids too...perhaps the cutest kids out there. Looks like you guys had a fun time! Glad you survived the trip down the river :)
i love hanging on the railing jack..and girlfriend's bangs be cray cray in that one shot...and you guys have traveled SO MUCH this summer. the summer of fun.
Post a Comment