Half a year has gone by since I first saw my little guy. Half a year since he was placed on me and I was overwhelmed by a feeling of..."What the heck is this little alien covered in? Get it off of me!!!" You thought I was going to say love didn't you? Negative friend, that emotion waited until after the little thing was cleaned up a bit. But now I love Jack...more than I ever thought I could.
To be honest, I was scared to have a baby. I was never too fond of the things. At church and family gatherings when everyone was cooing over the baby, I was hiding in the corner, doing my best to look occupied so I wouldn't be forced to interact with the little slobber-bucket, or worse...be forced to say how cute it was. Cause I thought all babies were hideous...and let's be honest, all newborns really are.
As I grew up my fear of children only intensified. Nothing screams birth control like hearing a group of woman talk about what it's like to be a mother. Their lives sound like a never ending replay of the first hour of any movie about children. The hour where kids are running everywhere like tasmanian devils, smearing sticky food everywhere, barfing under the table, and flushing precious heirlooms down the toilet. I felt like women's lives ended the instant those feral naked-mole-rats entered the world.
Fast forward a few years...and I was pregnant with Jack. And I was about 86% sure I wasn't really going to like him very much. But around the time I was 7 months pregnant, a change started to occur. I had expected to feel piercing kicks inside me. I had heard woman talk about how painful it is to have your child kicking your ribs. But this didn't happen. I hated being pregnant but one of the things that kept me going were Jack's little nudges. I felt his little kicks but they weren't too hard. They were there when I was hunched over the toilet puking or when I was curled in a little ball crying myself to sleep. But they weren't bad...it was more like the little guy inside of me was comforting me, reminding me I wasn't alone. I started to sense his calm little spirit and I started to love him.
It wasn't until Jack was about 3 months old that I realized I loved him more than I had ever hoped. He was asleep in the other room and I was thinking about how earlier that day he had been smiling at me. He had smiled and cooed at me like we were the best of friends. And then I started to cry, because I was scared. Scared that I loved him so much. Scared that I wouldn't always to be able to protect him. Scared that someday he wouldn't be smiling and I wouldn't be able to help him. And then I knew that having children wasn't what I thought. It wasn't a horrible succession of days dealing with a little pest. It was a wonderful succession of days taking care of one of the things you love most in the world. They might frustrate you, but you couldn't imagine not having that frustration in your life. They might keep you up at night...but you would rather hold them while they are crying than be asleep without them in your life.
Jack has been the greatest gift I've ever been given...besides his sexy dad that is. I know there will be hard times but I know that the Lord gave me enough love for Jack to deal with these times. I think the Lord gave me a surplus of love for Jack just for good measure...because I was so against the little thing to begin with.
I know Jack is an easy baby...another blessing to ease me into things. I am so grateful the Lord knew me well enough to send me such a calm sweet little boy. I'm so grateful for my wonderful life. It is so much fuller and more meaningful than I could have imagined. I learned that you need to pay attention to the last ten minutes of those movies...the parts where the little kids are snuggling with their parents being read a bedtime story. Because that is what being a parent really is. It's love, not hate. It's concern and not anger. That's the important part. That's the part that really matters the most...I just hope I can remember all of this when Jack is pooping in the dishes and drinking from the toilet.
Monday, May 13, 2013
The Sappiest Post EVER!
Posted by Melani at 8:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I could just hear your voice in my head saying all this as I read it. I knew just how you would say each word. Loved it!!!!
you are a fantastic mother (from what I heard and read and saw). Jack is lucky to have such great parents and I always knew you'd be great :). He is a cutie! I'm glad we get to experience the early motherhood stages close together. It's fun and definitely an experience of much growth to us Moms. Love ya!
That was so super cute. I think you are an awesome mom as well!!! That Jack just loves you to death. He is super lucky. I'm so glad your life is better than you thought. I love you!
Mel, thanks so much for writing this! You are so honest and open, I love that about you! I'm not so sure about the children thing either, but this encourages me to know that whatever happens, kids or no kids, God knows what I need and will provide for me. I love you!
You expressed the feelings of a mother perfectly!! If I was good at writing, I would have said it exactly the same way. What a cutie your are!
My word, you are still a hoot. Being a momma has only made your beautiful self shine even brighter. Little man looks so happy, it's a reflection of the love and care he's getting from his parents. Just so you know, I know a few families who first baby was perfect", but their second child had horns, so beware!
you are so much fun to read! what a great post! jack has got to be the happiest baby ever - i know you guys are amazing parents! i just wished we lived closer so we could see each other more often!
I'm really glad you posted this. I'm so much like you were in the beginning! Not gonna lie, I'm not too disappointed that I don't have kids yet. Some days I get a little sad that it hasn't happened yet, but then I go to the store or church and see the little noisy, messy, fighting pests and think, "Never mind. I'm gooooooood!"
It doesn't help my wanting children when parents complain about them and then tell me, "Just you wait!" Yeah, that makes me want to have kids RIGHT away!
Thank you for your POSITIVE perspective on this!!! I needed it. :c)
Post a Comment