Friday, May 24, 2013

Before and After...Should have stopped at Before.

So I enjoy me a good before and after.  Ever since my 13 year old self discovered Trading Spaces, I've been hooked on before and afters.  I have spent my fair share of time on youtube looking at videos of people loosing weight....and zits being popped, but's that's a whole different story.  I just love seeing beautiful transformations.  And I recently discovered a website called, http://www.betterafter.net/   This is a website that features a bunch of different interior/furniture renovations.  When I found this website I thought, "This is it...This will be as fun as looking up 'nose jobs before and after'".  Wrong-o.  The problem is, I find that a lot of the time I just think, "Well you should have just left the dang thing how you found it."  Not that these pieces of furniture don't need help...they do.  They are just given the wrong kind of help.  It's like taking a slightly unsavory woman and putting mom jeans on her.  It only makes the problem worse.

I have compiled a few examples.

Maybe the person who did this little makeover was simply colorblind.



 I feel like someone just got a little cray-cray with their modge podge on this one.  I think it would serve the world well if there was a little fairy-modge-mother.  And when people start to modge podge everything in sight, oblivious to what they are doing anymore...the fairy would land lightly on whatever is being defaced.  And then that sweet fairy would gently push the brush away from the modge and simply say, "No darling, it's okay...you can rest now.  Leave this be.  It'll keep.  It'll keep."


Clearly I'm not a huge fan of the whole ombre movement that has swept the nation.  Or at least in the way it is done here.  Sometimes it is ca-ute.  Ca-ute.

After reviewing these pictures, I have come to a conclusion.  I just don't like self-distressed furniture, ombre and anything overly whimsical.  Maybe I'm just a boring old boob (pardon if that word makes you shudder...I just find it hilarious when old people use it in this context and decided to give it a whirl.  And....I liked it.)  I enjoy classic, timeless pieces.  

But guys, you should know that I am sitting in a room filled with overly colorful plastic toys.  And spit up spots dot the very floor I sit upon.  So...I'm not really one to talk.  

1 comments:

Mandi said...

on a couple of these I find that styling is more of the issue. Like I actually like the colorful chairs at the top but they need to be in a neutral room where they are the focal point not in a crazy room where everything is trying to be a focal point. also "boob" haha!